Can I visit the Northumberland Coast Path?
- Yes, but only for exercise and if the Northumberland Coast Path is ‘in your local area’.
- You must only exercise alone, with your household (or support bubble), or one other person. You should only leave the house to exercise once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area.
- If you are leaving your home to exercise, you should always stay local in the village, town, or part of the city where you live.
- For more detailed guidance about exercising and meeting other people, click here.
Can I travel to exercise on the Northumberland Coast Path?
- Yes, but only if it is a short distance from your home. Under the latest lockdown restrictions, you must ‘stay local’ when leaving your home to exercise. This means avoiding travelling outside of your village, town, or the part of the city where you live wherever possible. However, you can travel a short distance within your area if necessary, for example to access an open space. For more detailed travel guidance, click here.
Will businesses and facilities be open?
- To reduce social contact, the Government has ordered many businesses and venues to close. This includes businesses that are situated on or near to the Coast Path including cafes, restaurants, pubs, accommodation providers, recreational activity providers and visitor attractions. Essential shops selling food and medicine are permitted to stay open.
- Public toilets are permitted to stay open. However you may find some have been closed, so please take this in consideration when planning your exercise.
- If driving a short distance to access the Coast Path, please check car parking before you go. Do not park anywhere that could cause an obstruction for residents or for emergency services requiring access.
Access to Nature
The government’s priority is to save lives and the best way to protect yourself and others from illness is to stay at home. However, access to greenspace is still important for people’s physical and mental wellbeing. To protect yourself, the others and the environment please ensure you follow this advice: